Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How's your block coming along?

Are you making a log cabin quilt block for Japanese Tsunami/quake survivors? I hope so! I've rounded up lots of local quilters who are ready to help out with making your block and others into quilts for people in need in Japan. Please send your block(s) in by April 8th. That's right around the corner so get started today!

Out of curiosity, I decided to weigh my 10.5" quilt block along with an envelope with my handy dandy postal scale to see what shipping would cost. My block + envelope = .6 oz. According to the US Postal Service, a letter under 1 ounce costs only 44 cents to mail. That means you can send your block for a mere stamp. What a deal! So please don't let shipping costs deter you from making a block. Fold it up nice and flat and stick it in a standard envelope, stamp it, and send it out the door. A "large" envelope costs 88 cents to mail (up to 1 ounce). Two ounces cost $1.05. Still a steal.

Here's where to send your block(s): 

Attn: Log Cabins for Japan
5 West Diamond Lake Road
Minneapolis, MN  55419
 
 
 
I think it's fair to say that those of us who sew have a special bond with Japan. This past Saturday I went shopping at one of my local fabric stores, Crafty Planet, and picked up a couple of Japanese fabrics to add to my vast stash (I can't help it!) - some sweet indigo turtles and Melody Miller's Ruby Star Rising vintage radio print by Kokka. Then I headed over to Joann to take advantage of a 25% off coupon. I picked up Clover marking pencils (made in Japan) and a new Olfa cutting mat (made in Japan). See what I mean?
 
Japanese sewing goodies
 As I was driving home, I heard a story on All Things Considered on NPR about a Japanese elementary school located on the coast that was hit by the Tsunami. Tears poured down my cheeks as I drove down the highway and I couldn't help but count my blessings. Listen to the story here, then make a block.
 
Thanks,
Annik
 
P.S. If you're local, please let me know if you have any extra batting or backing fabric you'd like to donate to the cause. 

5 comments:

  1. Annik I have two blocks for you. You want my help putting them together later in April? (This is Clemma)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dude! Don't be lonely!!! :) Love that Melody Miller fabric, that one is one of my faves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sent out 10 blocks. Happy to have a way to help--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annik - Contact me at the Textile Center. Our garage sale is in just a couple of weeks and I can probably help out with some backing fabric. Becka brahn [at] textilecentermn.org

    ReplyDelete