Thursday, October 20, 2011

Long time no see

Hello dear blogosphere friends. I've missed you! How have you been? Are you working on Halloween costumes? Making holiday crafts? I'd love to hear what you're working on.

Last time I posted I was working fiendishly and feverishly on my Modern Quilt Guild Kaufman Kona Challenge. And then, a real fever struck. One day before the official reveal date of our Minneapolis guild's projects, I woke up with a nasty sore throat. A fever followed a few hours later and by noon I had a positive strep test to confirm my fears. So, the quilt did not get finished. I didn't attend the meeting, either, despite so looking forward to it :(

Here's a little peek at my Kona Challenge quilt:


The photo are very dark, but that's for the best because it hides a little problem.  I used Kona navy as my solid but ran out (another lesson - figure out how much fabric you need before you start sewing/piecing!). I went back to the store where I bought the navy, knowing I wanted the navy off the same bolt so the color would be the same. No luck. There was hardly any left on the bolt. So I drove 40 minutes to another chain store (to remain unnamed) to find more navy. They had the 4 yards that I needed and it looked the same as my original when I was in the store, but when I started piecing it was very clear that they were not from the same dye lot. Aaargh. Deep breath, let it go.

Egads!! My navy fabric doesn't match
 This quilt has been a good lesson for me to roll with it. Not everything has to be perfect. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Besides, it's for the boys to use and abuse. I hope it gets lots of love. And you know, I'm pretty darn proud of making a twin size quilt with half (!) of a charm pack.

I've also been working on a Halloween costume for my daughter, Gwen. She's 2 1/2 and has requested to be a princess. Amazing, isn't it? Are girls hardwired this way??? Secretly, I've had a blast making her costume - please don't tell. I'm surrounded by sparkly pink fabric and I love it. So far I've made a layered tulle skirt and a puffy sleeved top.

4 yards of tulle on a 2 year old. Trimmed out in Midori "Tourmaline" velvet ribbon!

This skirt makes a girl dance.

Pink sparkly top to be worn with pink long-sleeved top below.
Gwen will wear a pink shirt under the sparkly magenta puffy sleeved tee I made. A pink silk satin ribbon sash with complete the look. And yes, leggings are a must. Time permitting, I might even make her a robe/cloak with a fake ermine collar. My dear son Alex, 8, pointed out that she doesn't have a tiara. Better get right on it. Yes, I've gone bananas.

Until next time...
-Annik

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Annik! It really looks adorable. I made a princess skirt and accessories for a friend's daughter's princess-themed bday this summer. Big sparkly pink tulle mermaid ruffle at the bottom of a satin skirt, with a ribbon edge to said ruffle. I found a mega-pouch of pink and white plastic pearls and iridescent crystals, from which I made a bracelet, double-strand necklace, and a diadem. I bought a metal headband with tiny rhinestone accents, and then wired the beads onto that to encrust it and make some free-standing points. She loved the set. So now I'm doing a similar one for my niece for her bday in yellow. I also finished a tunic, straight pants, cloak, and sword belt for my Roman Legionary 4-yr-old, and a fez hat for my cymbal-clapping monkey 16-mo-old for Halloween. —Jami

    ReplyDelete