Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Comment a Day in 2012

Have you noticed this button on the right side of my blog?


January is always a tough month for me. It's long, it's cold (well, not this year), I feel isolated. I have this tendency to believe that I have no friends in January. Blah, blah, you get the idea.

During one of these one-woman January pity parties, I started feeling super sorry for myself that hardly anybody comments on my blog, or Flickr photos, or tweets. Every time I post to my Facebook fan page I seem to lose a follower. In truth, it's hard to keep up my blogging momentum without a little feedback, after all, it's human nature to seek positive input. After talking to a few bloggy friends, I learned that they, too, were feeling down about the lack of comments. At least it isn't just me...

Then a thought struck me like a lightening bolt. How often do I comment on other people's blogs? Do I leave love notes on their Flickr photos? Respond to their inquiring tweets? Um, hardly ever. So here I am feeling sorry for myself when really I'm just being hypocritical.

So this year I pledge to be the change I want to see in the world by making at least one comment a day on somebody's blog, Facebook fan page, photo, pin, whatever. I still haven't seen the love come back around to me yet, but it makes me feel good to comment and compliment others.

 
I think it's fair to say that between blogs, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and more, we're about to explode from social media overload. Everybody and their Aunt Martha has a blog and they're all vying for our love, adoration, and follows. I totally get it. But I also get that I might just make somebody's day by leaving a thoughtful comment.

Do you want to join me in this challenge? Feel free to grab the button. The only thing I ask is that you not link it back to my blog because this isn't about me - this is about building a stronger online crafting/creative community. Link the button to your own blog post about how you plan to make the digital world a friendlier place.

Thanks for listening. I feel better already!
-Annik





8 comments:

  1. That's a lovely idea. If I knew how to post the button to my own blog, I would, but since I don't, I'll just join you without advertising. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet! i stop by often and i should make sure that i say hi a little more :) also, i don't think i'm a fb fan.... will find you there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! And reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on it...Check for today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beak: I LOVE your blog. I wish I had some creative talent like you do. From you old pal Amer. Watching you from Amish country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great idea! and so true, your thoughts on self pity and hypocrisy rang a bell in my mind. Thanks for reminding me this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for commenting on my quilted pillow. I traced you back to your blog from flickr, and I loved this post. It totally hit home for me. I often wonder why I don't get more comments on my blog, but you're absolutely right I don't comment enough myself. Well said! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete